How The Hell Did You Wind Up In Oklahoma?

Image result for the university of oklahoma


In my last blog post, I discussed how high school students are pressured to attend college in today's society. This has caused me to reflect upon how and why I am in the position I am currently in today. While I wholehearted believe that college is not meant for everyone, I feel that it was the right decision for me. I am currently a student at the University of Oklahoma, and I’m loving every second of the experience. Being from New Jersey, I get asked all the time, “How the Hell did you wind up in Oklahoma?”

First off, I am here at the University of Oklahoma because it is a place that feels like home. Being a devout Catholic, I prayed a lot during my sophomore and junior years of high school asking God to help guide me in choosing the right place to further my academic career. Once I visited the Norman campus during the summer of 2017 with my parents, I knew in my heart that OU was the place for me to grow as a student, and more importantly, as a person. My faith has led me to travel nearly 1500 miles from my home of Westfield, New Jersey to attend this great university.
               
 Along with faith, I am here at the University of Oklahoma to be a part of the school’s prestigious Army ROTC and Arabic Flagship programs. Since I was a child, I have always wanted to serve my country in one of the three main branches of the United States Armed Forces. After having many conversations with the cadre members of the university’s Army ROTC program, I knew that OU was the right place for me to obtain a great education while also achieving my goal of becoming a future Army Officer. In addition, the University of Oklahoma’s Arabic Flagship Program was another deciding factor for choosing OU over all other schools. This intensive language course is a five-year program that helps you achieve advanced proficiency in the Arabic language. The Arabic Flagship Program will enable me to understand the language at a superior level, which will be a great asset to me during my Army career, as well as in the civilian workforce.
            
This semester, I have decided to enroll in the Citizens! Expository Writing course because the topic of the class seemed very interesting to me. For as long as I can remember, I have had a great appreciation for American history, government and politics. My family and I have always been proud to be citizens of this great nation. I have thoroughly enjoyed the course and how it goes into depth as well as questions the true meaning of American citizenship. I feel this topic directly affects me as an American, and has helped me better understand my role as a citizen on a local, state, federal and international level.

When I reflect upon how and why I am here in Norman, Oklahoma today, I cannot help but realize that I am living "MY" American Dream. As an American citizen, I am humbled and blessed to have received this great opportunity to attend this university. If it were not for the freedoms that this nation has granted me, I would not be here today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

United We Stand, Divided We Fall

My Aunt's Citizenship Experience

Remember the Titans: A Story of Equality